Airsoft guns were originally developed to look like real guns while actually being a toy gun only. That’s why, when you buy the airsoft gun, the first question that comes to your mind may be somewhat like this, “Can you take the orange tip off an airsoft gun?” Also, it’s worth knowing if removing the orange tip from the gun is even legal.
As our research found, the short answer is-
It appears that removing the orange tip from an airsoft gun isn’t a crime, at least in federal laws. But some states might have different ideas.
Also, you can remove the orange tip from the gun following different methods depending on the material used to make the orange tip.
Can You Take the Orange Tip-Off an Airsoft Gun?
Airsoft guns are toys but designed in a way that it pretends to be a real gun. However, the orange tip in it denotes that it is not a real gun, and people can actually be aware of the fact. Thus, the orange tip helps people in public not to get panicked, even if someone carries an airsoft gun.
However, as kids use it for their fun play, they would want to enjoy the thrill of holding a real gun for the shot and run game. That’s why they want to remove the orange tip from the gun.
But is it is possible to take off the tip? Also, is it even legal?
Yes, taking off the orange tip from the airsoft gun is legal unless you are carrying it in prohibited places such as school premises. Also, there’re multiple methods to remove the tip. The tip can be made of glue, plastic, or resin, and depending on its material, you will have to apply various techniques to remove the orange tip safely.
Can the Orange Tip on Airsoft Guns Be Removed?
We have already cleared it out that you can remove the orange tip from the airsoft gun at ease to help it look like the real gun. The removal method and the amount of effort you need for it will depend on the tip type on the gun.
In most cases, you can easily pull off the tip of the gun using your hands. And it should pop up from the gun quickly.
Some other models of airsoft guns might have the tip threaded to it. Thus, you will need to unthread the orange tip from the gun. This is often done by turning the tip in the clockwise direction. Some may use pliers for it.
Also, some airsoft gun models come with a pin with the tip. You have to remove the pin. Also, some models contain screws, and you have to loosen them.
Why Is There an Orange Tip on Airsoft Guns?
An orange tip is used in the airsoft guns to make it clear that the gun is not a real firearm. The rule to use the orange tip on the gun is strictly followed by both federal and state governments. As our research found, the rule of adding orange tip is described in article number ‘Part 272, CFR 15’ in the Code of Federal Institution (CFR).
It states that air guns and toy guns, including the airsoft gun used for sports and recreational purposes, must come with a bright orange tip directly from the manufacturers. The manufacturers of these guns aren’t allowed to market the gun without the tip.
This, in short, the orange tip is used for safety concerns and allows people to know that you are carrying a toy gun, not a real one.
What Does The Orange Tip On A Gun Mean?
The orange tip refers to the legality of toy guns for transportation and import in the USA. The rule says that all toy guns must have a blaze orange tip. It should be either 6mm wide or 2.54cms (1-inch) thick.
Also, it must be positioned on either side of the airsoft gun barrel. Both federal and state rules apply this restriction for toy guns but not for airsoft guns. Nonetheless, most manufacturers will still use the orange tip to the airsoft gun for further safety.
How To Remove The Orange Tip From An Airsoft Gun?
When you need to remove the orange tip from your airsoft gun, you have to ensure the type of orange tip it has. We will break down the process of taking off these various tips in the following sections.
But before we begin, let’s see the most common types of orange tips-
- Plastic made flash covers
- Metal made flash orange tip
- Orange painted gun barrel tip
Also, the tip can be mounted on the gun barrel in various ways irrespective of the material used for it. So, let’s see the process-
1. Screwed metal or plastic tip:
If you have the orange tip screwed in the barrel, you should find it easy to remove. The steps include-
- Use a set of pliers to hold on to the tip and turn it clockwise direction.
- Once the screw is properly loosened, you can take off the tip.
- You may add a flash cover on the gun if you want after removing the tip. It should be a black color to match the airsoft gun.
2. The orange tip is glued in:
Some manufacturers will glue in the orange tip on either side of the gun barrel. In such cases, it has a better bond and involvement with the barrel.
- Observe how the tip is integrated into the gun barrel with the glue. A set of pliers should be able to remove the glued tip easily. However, you have to apply extreme pressure with your arms to remove the tip from the gun.
- Some bits will still be on the barrel. You should remove the glue bits if you want to attach a flash cover later to the gun.
- You may use commercial glue removal to wipe off the remaining bits of glue from the barrel. Use a piece of clean cloth to wipe off the glue bits after a few moments of applying the glue removal.
3. The orange tip is painted:
Some old-fashioned airsoft gun models will have the orange tip painted on the gun barrel. It follows the orange tip inclusion rules by federal and state governments. You may use polish or paint remover to pry off the painted tip from the gun.
- You should initiate the process in a place were pouring in the removed paint won’t harm your home décor. You may do it in the basin.
- Before you start removing the paint, you have to take off the barrel and magazine of the gun. Also, remove the recoiling spring with the slider from the inside of the gun. It is for safety purposes so that you don’t misfire it.
- Take a small paper towel and pout in some polish remover on it. Then, carefully rub it on the orange paint of the gun. You should operate with care to ensure that you don’t take off the paint from the other part of the gun, particularly from the services.
- You have to continue rubbing the proper polish remover until the orange tip color is removed entirely.
What Are Some Paintballing Tips For Beginners?
- Never leave your paintball gun untreated and dirty. If the gun is dirty and the burst pellet will make the shots inaccurate.
- Many beginners will use the dropped-in paintballs or already fired paintballs from the floor. Although it is tempting, you must not do it. Once the pellets are dropped on the floor, their gelatin shell and starts swelling after you have fired once the pellets.
- Paintball guns are run by carbon dioxide gas. It is used in a compressed form inside the gun. You must make sure that you don’t run out of gas while firing the paintball. If there is a shortage of the gun, the pellets will lose their actual velocity. Also, it will compel the pellets to fall short of their actual distance.
- The gun can fire 3 to 5 shots in one second. But you should focus more on accuracy than hitting more shots with the gun. You should remember that hitting one shot accurately is better than miss-hitting several shots.
- You should focus on one player at a time while aiming with the gun. This tactic is called the ‘Tunnel Vision,’ which boosts your accuracy in the shots.
Thus, here we end our discussion on the topic, “Can you take the orange tip off an airsoft gun?” Ideally saying, you can easily and quickly remove the orange tip from either side of the barrel. The orange tip is made of plastic or metal or painted on the barrel. You can use pliers set to remove it from the gun or use polish remover to discolor the paint.
Also, you need not worry about the legalities of removing the tip since it is approved in most states unless you enter into restricted locations such as school premises with it.